Euro: time for action on debt and growth, not for a debate on the Treaties / 01-12-2011
"The lights have changed from orange to red. Faced with these challenges, the European Union has to act and decide on its governance", said Paulo Rangel MEP, adding that we mustn't waste time concentrating on institutional debates.
"There has been much talk lately about a reform of the Treaties. But, to my knowledge, we are talking about a debt crisis, not a Treaty crisis. It is therefore urgent to act on national deficits by aiming for a balanced budget for all and not just a deficit of 3%."
Other urgencies for the EPP Group in the European Parliament include: restoring the opportunities for growth by making the Single Market a reality; trusting the ECB to act in the interest of our countries, with the IMF, and creating Eurobonds, "provided that national budgetary efforts are strengthened and not relaxed."
Paulo Rangel welcomed the speech in Berlin by Polish Foreign Minister Radek Sikorski, "who is urging us to take a stand and to respect our commitments. It is not enough to produce laws and Pacts, we have to implement them", insisted the Vice-Chairman of the EPP Group.
On the economic governance of the Eurozone, Paulo Rangel conveyed two messages: the governance must be European and it must be democratic.
"European, and even Community, means a governance of the 17+ - not two or three countries. This means that it is the European Commission which will enforce the rules."
"Democratic means that European and national parliamentarians must be fully involved in the decision-making process of budgetary, fiscal and social convergence."
- 21-01-2013 17:02 50. Jahrestag des Elysée-Vertrages: Europa braucht einen starken und vereinten deutsch-französischen Motor mehr denn je. Joseph Daul, Vorsitzender der EVP-Fraktion
- 12-09-2012 12:02 Lage der EU: Die Lösung der Krise liegt in Europa. Joseph Daul, Vorsitzender der EVP-Fraktion im Europäischen Parlament
- 07-06-2012 17:07 Rat schlägt bei Schengen ausgestreckte Hand aus
- 29-03-2012 10:47 Bürgerinitiative: Ein Instrument, Europäerinnen und Europäer in EU-Debatten einzubinden. Joseph Daul MdEP, Vorsitzender der EVP-Fraktion
- 17-01-2012 15:07 Wahl von Martin Schulz als Präsident des Europäischen Parlaments: Verteidigung der europäischen Integration und der Gemeinschaftsmethode. Joseph Daul MdEP, Vorsitzender der EVP-Fraktion