Liberals and Democrats criticise French Armenian genocide law / 25-01-2012
The adoption yesterday by the French senate of a law which makes the denial of genocide a punishable offence, is strongly criticised by ALDE Group.
Alexander Graf LAMBSDORFF (FDP, Germany), who shadows EU -Turkey affairs for the group said: "Yesterday's decision by the French Senate is an additional burden on already strained Turkish-European relations. Apart from a few, narrowly defined and politically justified exceptions, assertions of historical facts should be left to historians and should certainly not be made a crime. The vote in the Senate is all the more incomprehensible because the alleged Turkish genocide of Armenians in 1915 is an event in which France was not involved in any way. "
Lambsdorff calls on Turkey nevertheless to show restraint: "There is a risk that Turkey might over-react but for a country in the middle of accession negotiations with the EU it is important to react with moderation and avoid adding to anti-Turkish sentiment. The lines must be kept open between Ankara and Paris as this would inevitably impact on wider Turkish-European relations."
Andrew Duff (UK, Lib Dem) ALDE member of EU-Turkey Joint Parliamentary Committee added: "The French parliament is wrong to play the role of a court. The definition of genocide is properly a judicial matter and should not be reduced to the banality of party politics."
- 23-05-2013 15:07 Bulgaria: double standards of the European Socialists. Joseph Daul MEP, Chairman of the EPP Group
- 23-05-2013 11:45 EU Council: we cannot waste any time in fighting tax fraud. Joseph Daul, Chairman of the EPP Group
- 21-05-2013 12:31 EU leaders must address growing euroscepticism caused by crisis
- 08-05-2013 11:23 EU Budget 2013: EU crucial policies are in danger without draft amending budget
- 25-04-2013 14:48 Parliament not responsible for postponing MFF negotiations
- 04-07-2010 13:07 Public presentation of the priorities of the Belgian EU Presidency on Monday
- 02-02-2009 16:09 А new informative and training platform is now active on http://parliament.europe.bg