EP rapporteur welcomes decision to grant Serbia candidate status / 02-03-2012
Responding to the European Council's approval of Serbia's candidate status following the lifting of a last minute Romanian reserve over the treatment of minorities, Jelko Kacin (LDS, Slovenia), EP rapporteur on Serbia's accession said:
"I warmly welcome the Council's decision to grant Serbia candidate status. It is a hugely positive step forward and recognition of Serbia's reform efforts."
"It is also an important step forward for the region as a whole and an opportunity to definitively move on from the conflicts of the 1990s. Serbia has demonstrated its proactive, flexible and responsive approach in the run up to yesterday's Council."
"I just regret the way the decision on granting the candidate status to Serbia was delayed, due to eleventh hour and unjustified objections by some Member States. Nevertheless, I hope Serbia will remain ambitious in striving for the quick opening of accession negotiations."
- 21-05-2013 12:31 EU leaders must address growing euroscepticism caused by crisis
- 08-05-2013 11:23 EU Budget 2013: EU crucial policies are in danger without draft amending budget
- 25-04-2013 14:48 Parliament not responsible for postponing MFF negotiations
- 23-04-2013 15:51 EU seals historic deal in Western Balkans
- 23-04-2013 15:34 Barroso must force OLAF boss Kessler to resign. Inge Gräßle MEP
- 04-07-2010 13:07 Public presentation of the priorities of the Belgian EU Presidency on Monday
- 02-02-2009 16:09 А new informative and training platform is now active on http://parliament.europe.bg