FYROM: Accession negotiations must begin without further delay / 15-03-2012
Following yesterday's vote in the European Parliament on the progress report on the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), Eduard Kukan MEP said: "We have adopted a good and balanced Resolution. I fully support the key message, calling on the Council to set a date for opening accession negotiations with Macedonia without further delay."
"I am convinced that opening the negotiations will trigger additional reforming efforts in the country. Macedonia should be working on an integration agenda and should receive our support on EU-related reforms. Otherwise the EU's credibility in the country and the region could be undermined. Therefore, I fully support the Commission's initiative to lead the High Level Dialogue focused on the most difficult areas of integration. Full engagement in issues such as judiciary reform, media freedom, the fight against corruption, or electoral reform, is a good investment in future negotiations", he contined.
Concerning the name issue, Eduard Kukan noted: "The EU should be more supportive in the process of finding a solution to the outstanding issue between Greece and Macedonia. It is in the EU's interest - but above all in the interest of both countries - to put this question behind us and concentrate on really pressing issues."
Commenting on the recent violence in the country, Mr Kukan concluded: "At this moment, the political leadership of the country should stand firmly behind its commitments to good inter-ethnic relations and contribute to calming the situation."
- 23-05-2013 15:07 Bulgaria: double standards of the European Socialists. Joseph Daul MEP, Chairman of the EPP Group
- 23-05-2013 11:45 EU Council: we cannot waste any time in fighting tax fraud. Joseph Daul, Chairman of the EPP Group
- 21-05-2013 12:31 EU leaders must address growing euroscepticism caused by crisis
- 08-05-2013 11:23 EU Budget 2013: EU crucial policies are in danger without draft amending budget
- 25-04-2013 14:48 Parliament not responsible for postponing MFF negotiations
- 04-07-2010 13:07 Public presentation of the priorities of the Belgian EU Presidency on Monday
- 02-02-2009 16:09 А new informative and training platform is now active on http://parliament.europe.bg