Tymoshenko's imprisonment deplored by the EURONEST Parliamentary Assembly / 03-04-2012
The Euronest Parliamentary Assembly, meeting for its second working session in Baku, Azerbaijan, has adopted a Resolution condemning the sentence of the Ukrainian opposition leader Yulia Tymoshenko. The Resolution, initiated by the EPP family members, Members of the European, Ukrainian and Moldovan Parliaments, urges the Ukrainian authorities to ascertain a fair, transparent and impartial appeal process for Yulia Tymoshenko, Yuriy Lutsenko, and other opposition politicians and demands that they are guaranteed proper medical care according to international standards.
"It is a major breakthrough that the parties of the Eastern Partner States agree that the current development in Ukraine is very serious. Prosecution of opposition figures raises doubts on the level of democracy in Ukraine, also among Eastern Europeans. In the Resolution, we demand that proper treatment is given to Yulia and other imprisoned politicans", said Gunnar Hökmark MEP, Vice-Chairman of the EPP Group responsible for the Eastern Neighbourhood Policy.
"We are sending a signal to the Ukrainian authorities that the treatment of Yulia Tymoshenko, Yuriy Lutsenko and others is unacceptable and that the European Parliament has been joined by most of the members of the EURONEST from the Eastern parliaments. It is symbolic that we are sending this message on the day when Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych arrives in Baku. The European People's Party has proven that it has strong partners in Eastern Europe which share common EPP family values", said Jacek Saryusz-Wolski MEP, Vice-President of the EPP Party, Vice-Chairman of the EURONEST Parliamentary Assembly and Chairman of the EPP family in EURONEST.
"I am delighted that EURONEST is finally working. The Assembly has adopted 4 Reports and an urgency Resolution condemning the sentencing of Yulia Tymoshenko. The Assembly has proven to be not only a forum for parliamentary debate, but to be a determined body to raise higher standards as regards democracy, rule of law and human rights", said Traian Ungureanu MEP, Vice-Chairman of the EURONEST Parliamentary Assembly
- 08-05-2013 11:23 EU Budget 2013: EU crucial policies are in danger without draft amending budget
- 25-04-2013 14:48 Parliament not responsible for postponing MFF negotiations
- 23-04-2013 15:51 EU seals historic deal in Western Balkans
- 23-04-2013 15:34 Barroso must force OLAF boss Kessler to resign. Inge Gräßle MEP
- 17-04-2013 15:26 MEPs adopt improved international child support enforcement
- 04-07-2010 13:07 Public presentation of the priorities of the Belgian EU Presidency on Monday
- 02-02-2009 16:09 А new informative and training platform is now active on http://parliament.europe.bg