French Presidential Election: Verhofstadt expects a positive boost to European policy / 07-05-2012
The French presidential election has been followed with interest throughout Europe. France, a founding member state, has a weighty influence within the EU. Guy Verhofstadt, President of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe, welcomes the election results as the President-elect has made strong commitments to revitalise the European project.
Guy Verhofstadt said: "Nicolas Sarkozy is an energetic man who has recently directed his energy in taking positions on the eurozone crisis and on the Schengen area that have been particularly disappointing and alarming for those in Europe who, like me, expect more from France".
"Francois Hollande has announced his intention to bring his country back into a European dynamic. With him, he says, there will be no question of challenging the Schengen area. And above all, with him, new prospects will open up for the economic governance of the Eurozone".
"He mistakenly challenges the budget treaty. Nothing will happen without fiscal consolidation but I believe he will work towards a return to balanced budgets, as he has promised. However he is right to want this complemented by a growth pact. He also supports the main proposals that I myself have been making for a long time, especially the increased use of EIB funds to issue project bonds to invest in major infrastructure projects that will boost growth and employment in Europe ".
"I regret however, that so far he has not clearly taken a position on another key measure to solve the depth of the sovereign debt crisis - the partial pooling of debts with the creation of eurobonds. Various options are on the table and are currently being debated in Parliament and Council. I expect a French impetus in the European Council on this critical issue."
- 14-06-2013 16:44 THE EPP GROUP INVITES THE EUROPEAN COMMISSION TO CLOSELY FOLLOW THE RECENT DEVELOPMENTS IN BULGARIA
- 13-06-2013 14:50 ALDE denounces penny-pinching attitude of Council to Croatian accession
- 12-06-2013 14:31 Asylum package: A step towards increased solidarity and responsibility
- 12-06-2013 14:29 Schengen: an historic step towards freedom of movement in Europe
- 12-06-2013 13:19 Prism: US data mining programme must be challenged by the EU
- 04-07-2010 13:07 Public presentation of the priorities of the Belgian EU Presidency on Monday
- 02-02-2009 16:09 А new informative and training platform is now active on http://parliament.europe.bg