Verhofstadt: EU leaders must listen to their citizens' wishes for closer fiscal union / 23-05-2012
"EU leaders have for too long turned a deaf ear to our proposals on how to solve the crisis but by doing so they don't listen to their own citizens" said ALDE group President Guy Verhofstadt ahead of today's informal European Council by referring to the recently published Eurobarometer survey on 'The crisis and the economic governance in Europe'.
"EU leaders cannot ignore that the majority of people in the 27 Member States believe that their country should act to reduce public spending while boosting the economy. This is the two track approach we have constantly called for. Fiscal consolidation will only be sustainable if accompanied by a European growth package", stressed Guy Verhofstadt.
Moreover, continued Verhofstadt: "Member States cannot disregard that their citizens feel more protected by measures when adopted in a coordinated way at EU level ". According to the latest Eurobarometer's figures over 50% of Europeans favour Member States' coordination. "The establishment of a real Economic and Fiscal Union would be the natural translation of this feeling into concrete actions".
"With 47 % of the people supporting a two-track approach combining fiscal consolidation with growth measures, European leaders should not hesitate any longer".
"The Eurobarometer also clearly demonstrates that our citizens are well aware of the importance of eurobond with survey results demonstrating an increase in people's awareness and support. Today, 66 % are in favour of their creation, the very solution the ALDE Group has been promoting for over 2 years. Clearly, Member States must also stop ignoring the large support that exists for Eurobonds".
"If it is true that EU leaders decide in the best interest of their citizens, then it is also time that they start listening to them", Verhofstadt concluded.
- 21-05-2013 12:31 EU leaders must address growing euroscepticism caused by crisis
- 08-05-2013 11:23 EU Budget 2013: EU crucial policies are in danger without draft amending budget
- 25-04-2013 14:48 Parliament not responsible for postponing MFF negotiations
- 23-04-2013 15:51 EU seals historic deal in Western Balkans
- 23-04-2013 15:34 Barroso must force OLAF boss Kessler to resign. Inge Gräßle MEP
- 04-07-2010 13:07 Public presentation of the priorities of the Belgian EU Presidency on Monday
- 02-02-2009 16:09 А new informative and training platform is now active on http://parliament.europe.bg