European Council: we can win together or fall apart separately / 13-06-2012
The Chairman of the EPP Group, Joseph Daul MEP, has called on the European Council to preserve the Community method. During the debate on the upcoming European Summit on 28-29 June 2012, the Chairman of the largest and most influential Group in the European Parliament stressed the obligation to move from bold decisions to strong actions.
"On 28 and 29 June, over and above those crucial questions of economic governance, the credibility of the Euro, financial perspectives and own resources, my Group asks the Member States to make a choice. A major choice, which will determine everything. And that choice is: do you want to ensure a future for Europeans and dedicate yourselves to what is essential, namely strong political integration via the Community method?", said Joseph Daul.
Joseph Daul pleaded for a more united Europe: "The reality is that no European country can cope on its own with global challenges, whether they are economic, social, demographic, military or political. The reality is also that, if, over the last sixty years, we have achieved peace and prosperity, it was thanks to one method: the Community method. I believe profoundly in this method. Just as I am convinced that Europe is the solution, not the problem."
"It is time that the European Council cuts to the heart of the matter, instead of making do with rescue measures and resources that are immediately surpassed by events. We must take the bull by the horns and decide, once and for all, what kind of European Union, what social model we want. We must confront reality and stop deluding ourselves", Joseph Daul concluded.
- 21-05-2013 12:31 EU leaders must address growing euroscepticism caused by crisis
- 08-05-2013 11:23 EU Budget 2013: EU crucial policies are in danger without draft amending budget
- 25-04-2013 14:48 Parliament not responsible for postponing MFF negotiations
- 23-04-2013 15:51 EU seals historic deal in Western Balkans
- 23-04-2013 15:34 Barroso must force OLAF boss Kessler to resign. Inge Gräßle MEP
- 04-07-2010 13:07 Public presentation of the priorities of the Belgian EU Presidency on Monday
- 02-02-2009 16:09 А new informative and training platform is now active on http://parliament.europe.bg